Thursday, December 18, 2014

How To Keep Your Pills Organized

When you are on a lot of medicine, keeping track of what prescriptions need to be filled and what prescriptions are waiting at the pharmacy, can be a difficult task! I have come up with my own system to help me keep my medicines organized. This might be a little confusing to explain, but I'm hoping my system can help someone else stay organized!

Key Items:
Sticky Notes
Pen
Pill Box
Prescriptions

I feel like I am on more medicine than a 90 year old women! So, keeping my pills in a pill box is a must! Filling my pill box, and keeping track of which pills need to be filled, sometimes makes my head spin.


I keep all of my pill bottles in a medium size bag so they are always together. Before I fill my pill box, I take all of my pill bottles out of my bag so they are easier to see.



I usually start with my day time meds first. When I finish putting one medicine in the pill box, I can tell if I'm going to need to get it refilled before the next week.

When I sit down and go through my pills the following week, I can never remember which pills (or other prescriptions) are waiting at the pharmacy, and which ones still need to be called in. My pharmacy has an automated system so when you need a refill all you have to do is call the pharmacy and type in your prescription number and then the pharmacy fills it! It's so simple!

When I call a prescription in, I write it down on a sticky note and stick it to the pill bottle. When I have a prescription that can't be filled yet, I write that down a sticky note.

When I sit down the following week to fill my pill box, I can look at the sticky notes on my pill bottles and see which prescriptions need to be picked up, or if I have one that has a note that says, "too soon to be filled," I know that I need to call that one in again.


When I'm down to my last vial of insulin, I write a note and stick it to the box and put the box back in the refrigerator. When I can't remember if I've called it in, all I have to do is look at the note!

This system isn't perfect but it works for me!


1 comment: