Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)

For awhile now, my blood sugars have been up and down. Some days I will have readings as low as 39 but then later they will be as high as 500! (All in one day!) When your blood sugar goes from one extreme to the next, it takes up A LOT of your engergy! Over a year ago, I got the Medtronic Continuous Glucose Monitor. I hated it! I would have to use 5 pounds of tape to get it to stick to my skin! My blood sugars were not reading accurately at all. On the CGM, my blood sugar would read in the high 100's but when I did a finger stick, my blood sugar was really in the 50's. One of the main reasons for getting the CGM was so I could catch my low blood sugars faster before they went dangerously low! Obviously, that wasn't happening! When I wore the sensor, I was getting alarms several times a day and during the night! If I laid on it wrong when I was sleeping, it would beep because it couldn't get a blood sugar reading. It was such a pain and it was annoying! Eventually, I just stopped wearing it all together. It wasn't doing me any good anyway. A few months back I heard of another CGM that was made by Dexcom. I had heard that it was a lot better than the one made by Medtronic. When I went to my Diabetes Educator, I asked about it. She told me that she used the Dexcom CGM and loved it!  (Diabetes Educator is also diabetic) I have now been using the Dexcom CGM for almost a week and I already like it better than the Medtronic CGM. The only alarms I get with this CGM, is when my blood sugar goes above 300 or below 70. I find that very helpful without it being annoying! With the new CGM, I can track how much insulin I get at a certain time, and exercise! When I download my blood sugars off of the CGM, all of the information I entered will be downloaded too! If any diabetic is having problems with low blood sugars, high blood sugars, or having a lot of "up and down" blood sugar days, I would highly reccomend this product!
Below is a link to the Dexcom website.
http://www.dexcom.com/

This is what the medtronic sensor looks like. The white piece (transmitter) does not stick to your skin so a lot of tape is needed to keep it in place!

This is the dexcom sensor. No tape needed. The tape is already attached to it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like this CGM better. I can only imagine how irritating it was for the Dr. to tell you that you needed to wear it when it was SO annoying and inaccurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this one is doing better for you! I know that other one scared the crap out of me a couple times. LOL I imagine it would be annoying going off all the time! Hope the new one continues to work well.

    ReplyDelete