Sunday, September 23, 2012

Diabetes and Bipolar

I have been a diabetic for almost 8 years. Hard to believe! Even after all this time living with diabetes, I still learn knew stuff about it, or learn about new ways to control my blood sugar. Just when I think I know it all, I learn something else!
I think I was a freshman in high school when I started seeing a counselor. At that point, I had been a diabetic for about 3 years. I was having terrible mood swings, and depression. I was a mess! After going to the counselor, she started to think that I was bipolar. I thought she was crazy! A lot of the time, when someone thinks about bippolar, they often think psychotic and dangerous..maybe other people didn't think that way but I did!
Here I am, 5 years later, and my moods are worse than ever! I recently started going to a different counselor, and I love her! When I started seeing her, she also said that it sounded like I had a form of bipolar. ( Some forms of bipolar, are more severe than others.) She then explained to me that, because my blood sugars are so uneven right now, it can mess with my moods. So now, the question is, "Where do I go from here?" I need to go see a psychiatrist so I can get my depression medicine evaluated or get a different medicine or something! The problem is no one takes my insurance!
While I have been waiting to see a doctor, I have been doing some research. I have found out that people with bipolar disorder, are 3 times more likely to have diabetes than other people in the population. My mom said that a site she was on said that they aren't sure if diabetes causes bipolar, or if bipolar causes diabetes. Either way, they are definitely related! I also read somewhere that some antidepressants, can increase the severity of your bipolar disorder. Prozac, the medicine I'm on, is one of those antidepressants!
After reading that, it is obvious to me that a lot of doctors still don't know how to treat bipolar disorder! The doctor knew that I was showing signs of bipolar disorder, but then put me on a medicine that could make it worse! It makes no sense to me! Not only that, but I don't think doctors know the relation between bipolar disorder and diabetes. So, when a Psychiatrist gets a patient that is a diabetic and also showing signs of having bipolar disorder, they don't treat the bipolar because they assume the mood swings, etc. are from unstable blood sugars.
Living with diabetes is one thing. But then knowing you have another problem because of your diabetes is another. Having diabetes sucks! But some days, I think dealing with the bipolar or whatever it is, is worse! Going from a lot of energy and not being able to sleep, to irritable and severely depressed and tired in a matter of hours, sometimes even minutes, is very difficult to deal with. If someone you know is living with diabetes, depression, bipolar, etc., make sure they know you care and give them as much support as you can even though some days, you won't be able to do a thing for them. Diabetes is a never ending cycle. If it's not your blood sugar, it's something else. http://ezinearticles.com/?Bipolar-Disorder-and-Diabetes---Whats-the-Connection?&id=4600063


No comments:

Post a Comment