Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dangerously low blood sugar today!

Today, I figured out just how important my Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor really is. The sensors usually last for 7 days before you have to change them. My 7 days was up last night. I didn't put another one on because it takes 2 hours to get it to start reading and I honestly did not feel like waiting 2 hours. I was ready for bed! This morning, I put a new sensor back on. I went about my day cleaning, etc. while I waited for that 2 hour window to be gone. I got really tired all of a sudden but I didn't think anything of it. Other than being tired I felt fine. I was sitting at my computer and I started to feel a little shakey. I didn't feel horrible so I just thought my blood sugar was about 60-70..that's not too low for me. I check my blood sugar and surprisingly my blood sugar was a dangerous 32! This really got me thinking about how important my CGM is to me. Usually, my CGM will alert me when I go below 70. Even when my CGM is reading in the 50's or lower, I don't really feel it. I don't really feel shakey or like something is wrong. So, this kind of scares me a little bit. My blood sugar was 32 and I didn't really feel weird at all. This is dangerous. Without my CGM, how many times would I have gone that low or how many times would I be in the ER because I passed out because of this?
I think I have what's called hypoglycemia unawareness. Hypoglycemia unawareness is when a diabetic doesn't have the usual warning symptoms of low blood sugar. Pretty scarey..
Below is a link explaining Hypoglycemia Unawareness.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia-unawareness/MY01835

No comments:

Post a Comment