Monday, November 19, 2012

Diabetes and my pet peeves!

One of my pet peeves is when other people are concerned about what I eat. They might call it "concerned" but I call it "being nosey and I really wish you would mind your own damn business". One day when I was at work, my blood sugar went low. This girl looked at me and said, "Do you really think you should be drinking that milk." I felt like saying, "Do you really think you should be eating that piece of cake?" When people ask dumb questions like that, I have to try so hard not to say something smart. I know some people just care but please educate yourself on my disease before you start telling me how to control it.
When I'm at work, I usually have to turn my basal rate Off for a few hours because I have a terrible time with going low because I'm constantly moving. For those of you who don't know what a basal rate is, it's the amount of insulin your insulin pump gives you in an hour to help keep your blood sugar controlled. Since, insulin lowers your blood sugar and you know your blood sugar is going to be on the lower side for a while you kind of just want to get rid of it. That's the only way I know how to explain it. Anyway, that's what I did One day at work. I wasn't getting any insulin while I was at work one day because I turned off my basal rates. Well, because my body has issues, my blood sugar still went down to 39! My supervisor was questioning me about why my blood sugar dropped because she knows it all, right? (Sarcasm) Well, I explained to her that I didn't know why my blood sugar dropped because I had turned my basal rate off. She looked at me and said, "Well don't you think that maybe you SHOULDN'T have done that?" I wanted to smack her. I was so frustrated. Her grandson is a type 1 diabetic, so I thought she understood but obviously not. And since her grandson has diabetes, she automatically knows EVERYTHING about diabetes and can tell you how to treat it (Sarcasm again). People do not think before they speak. And maybe I'm overreacting, but everything gets old when you live with the same disease 24/7 your entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment