Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Friends with diabetes, DKA

When I got home from work tonight, I had a text message from a good friend that also has diabetes. She was being admitted to the hospital because she had gone into DKA. I feel bad because I know how that feels. I know what it's like to spend a night or 2 in the hospital, and getting my blood sugar checked every 1-2 hours. I also know how frustrating and scarey it is. I wish I could take it away from her but I can't. I wish I had special powers to cure diabetes for her, other diabetics, and myself.
I wouldn't wish diabetes on anyone. But it is nice to know that I have a few friends that have diabetes. We may not talk all the time or be "best" friends, but because of this disease we truely are "best" friends and we will always have a bond no matter how close we really are. Diabetes is something that you can't understand unless you are actually living with it. You DO NOT understand just because your aunt is a diabetic. You DO NOT understand just because your blood sugar drops occassionally. You DO NOT understand just because your grandson is diabetic and you give him shots every once in awhile. You MIGHT have a taste of what it's like to live with diabetes but you DO NOT completely know. Even the doctors don't understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment